Some notes on
A new culture of learning:
- A big issue for me is to really understand what is the digital culture and more than that the meaning of the knowledge society and if I can relate it to the learning of math
- I like the idea of the fluid infrastructure of the 21st century
- Technology is constantly creating and responding to change
- Learning takes place with out books, teachers and classrooms. There are important but there are only one part of the resources to learn. Nowadays the resources created in class are a very important part of learning. Young students are part of ‘participatory culture’ (Jenkins) so participating is core.
- Learning can be messy, playful, creative, chaotic, not ready jet, all that with some kind of structure. How to structure the messy???
- Collective play is not mere preparation for life, it is life.
- Questions are more important than answer, because answers to real questions lead to more questions. Lani Watsons’ research (here the video) is about the value of questioning in education. She argues that questioning is related with the intellectual virtue of inquisitiveness which plays an invaluable role in our intellectual lives. She will propose the importance of a question oriented education. I said in my introduction of my first proposal that questioning is how kids start to discover the world, it is the natural way they find to discover, so it has to be incorparated somehow into the learning practice. It is difficult because of the demands for a teacher working with questions that are unknown. It needs a strategy for making it possible. There was an idea of a mail box that can be filled so and so many days before the class… Sahana Murti can be asked.
- Philosopher ask in order to get to the nature of reality. To what will pupils go when questioning in a math class? Questions are tools to understand the problem s them selfs. The value of questioning is overlooked. Students receive answers with out even making any question. There must be dedicated time in teaching students the value of good questioning strategies and how can they be developed.
- Think about the nature of questions.
- Think of the capacity of wonder that all humans being have (Book the wondering brain, a read?)
- This new culture of learning can augment learning in all its facets